Friday, September 19, 2008

Towelhead!

^yes, it's a epithet,

but it's also the name of a good movie directed and written for the screen by Alan Ball. It got some bad reviews and that's when I figured it'd be a kosher deal because it meant the it didn't play to stereotype too much. He's trying to tell the story. There aren't very many films about contemporary Houston, TX and this one hits the nail right on the head. When I talk to NY-ers and they talk about TX, they always think it's such a groovy state because they flew through one of the airports. Then, when I talk to Houstonians in NYC they just say that they reinforce the Cowboy hats and horse thing every though they don't got either! This film so matter of fact and real that it didn't freak me out. I particularly liked how the main character was just as average looking girl that was then preyed upon by creepy white man. The whole film hit close to home. I hope it gets an Oscar, until then...

I am just gonna reference this for the naive.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

after Towelhead... I walked outside to see some literature on water lying on the tables. What I really like about NYC is that people aren't complacent and are fighting for what is theirs. But sometimes you have to just roll your eyes about issues that seem to be more about their own self-interest that the issue at hand.
When I saw the title for Flow directed by Irena Salina, I decided why not learn whats going on again from another perspective. A lot of what is shown in the movie most people have known about since it's been around for years... the evil corporations are trying to take our water away by privatizing it. The author of a book called "Blue Gold" noted this too but said "it's not about personal will, but political one." I was like oooh, got me there.

Throughout watching this movie I would get very ANGRY but then I'd see words that'll say for ex: XYZ corp has stopped oppressing TYU land since 2006 or something. I mean... geez. I walked in with a coke and popcorn and 'bout the time I left I didn't even bother for a refill. When you buy bottle water you are destroying a community somewhere. It's crazy how people are fighting for water in impovished countries. I left the film happier because it was a very balanced perspective and it was a convenient conglomoration of everyone's take on it. She didn't demonize the "blue gold" capitalists and didn't make out the displaced to be ignorant and helpless. On the contrary, they know what is good for their community since they have lived there. It was accurately documented the "spin" games that those corps play by saying they're "trying to bring water to the community" by kicking villagers out to build a dam and make them buy clorine tablets and print info on how to use it in a language they don't understand. Talk about colonization all over again.

Personally, I believe everyone should have FREE safe clean water and signed that petition. I will try to chose tap whenever possible. Bottled water is not regulated any way so what's in the crap from fiji or in the mountains nowadays?!(but the pretty bottle design does help the psyche)

The humorous part for me is when they (Nestle) came to the US and went to Michigan to build a plant. When the citizens got together and protested, one of the people looked at the camera in awe that private investigators came to their doors to ask about the petition and infiltrate their community with lies. lol, I wondered what they'd expect to happen...big business (especially ones that think they're being charitable) don't play:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

9/21/08~ bottle water is reg by the FDA and NOT the EPA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home